CFP: International Journal of Motorcycle Studies Conference, June 7-10, 2012
Call For Papers: INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MOTORCYCLE STUDIES CONFERENCE, Colorado Springs, Colorado, June 7-10, 2012
The International Journal of Motorcycle Studies (IJMS), the only online, peer-reviewed journal dedicated to motorcycle culture, will be hosting its second international motorcycle studies conference at the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, June 7-10, 2012.
IJMS is dedicated to the study and discussion of motorcycling culture in all its forms—from the experience of riding and racing to the history of the machine, the riders and design to the images of motorcycling and motorcyclists in film, advertising and literature.
We welcome submissions on all areas related to the cultural phenomenon of motorcycling worldwide. We invite contributions from all members of the motorcycling community. Suggested topics include:
• The motorcycle or riding in film, literature, art and music
• The motorcycle as art
• Motorcycle racing
• Motorcycle history
• The role of place/environment in motorcycling
• Motorcycling and issues of safety and risk
• Motorcycling and the law/legal issues
• Motorcycle technology/design
• Motorcycling and race, class, ethnicity, sexuality or gender
• The psychology of the motorcycle, the motorcyclist and the ride
• Motorcycle travel/tourism
• Motorcycle rights and politics
• The commodification of motorcycles, motorcycling and/or motorcyclists
• Motorcycle clothing/fashion
• Advertising/marketing of motorcycles, gear and motorcycle culture
• Media representations of motorcycling
• Other literary, anthropological, geographical, historical, sociological, political, economic/business or psychological perspectives of motorcycling culture
In addition to traditional academic paper presentations, we encourage submissions using alternate forms, such as photographic exhibitions or multimedia presentations.
Please respond to Lisa Garber (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a biographical statement and an abstract of 150 words by January 15, 2012.
Basic information about IJMS and the conference can be found at http://ijms.nova.edu