The Brothel and the Factory: Staging Immigration and Women's Labor; 3-4 Feb. 2012
The OSU Dept of Theatre and its student graduate organization, The Theatre Graduate Syndicate, seek submissions for its fourth annual symposium. Deadline for Submissions: Dec. 16, 2011
Guest Panelists: Paola S. Hernández (University of Wisconsin, Madison), Isabel Molina-Guzmán(University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign),Donna Guy (The Ohio State University, Mary Romero (Arizona State University).
As part of the year-long "Conversation on Immigration," organized and supported by the OSU Center for Ethics and Human Values, and in conjunction with its 2012 double-billed productions of The Matchmaker, by Patricia Suárez, and Real Women Have Curves, by Josefina López, the Ohio State University Department of Theatre and The Theatre Graduate Syndicate will host "The Brothel and the Factory: Staging Immigration and Women's Labor," its fourth annual academic symposium.
The Syndicate invites graduate students and the greater academic community to submit proposals for a broad range of interdisciplinary presentations that either engage the plays directly or touch on related topics. Possible topics may include but are not limited to:
• Feminism, Gender and Sexuality
• Sex Trade/Human Trafficking
• U.S. Latino/a Theatre and Drama
• Latin American Theatre and Drama
• Labor Issues and Economic Exploitation
• Translation and Adaptation
• Performances of Culture, Identity, and Ethnicity
• U.S. and Latin American Politics
• Globalization and its Economic/Cultural Consequence
• Human Rights and Trauma
• Body Image
• Interdisciplinary Approaches with Theatre, Spanish
• Historical and Sociological Approaches to the
Ethics of Female Labor, particularly Factory or Sex Work
Please submit paper abstracts (maximum 250 words) for 15 minute presentations or proposals for 3-4 person panels to email@example.com. Include your name, academic affiliation, level of graduate study, phone number, email address, as well as any audiovisual equipment needs. Deadline for submissions is December 16, 2011. Accepted applicants will be notified by January 6, 2012.