Practicing Humanities Scholarship in the 21st century [12/1/11;2/17/12]
To what extent have the premise and practices of humanities scholarship changed or remained the same in the new millennium? Papers are sought that both report on humanities research and reflect thoughtfully upon its practices. Topics on a wide range of subjects (ancient to contemporary), and from a variety of disciplinary perspectives are sought.Presentations should be 15-20 minutes in length. Papers pertinent to the following proposed panel topics are particularly solicited, but other subjects will be considered as well:
• Wars of the Past and Present: Words and Images
• Internationalizing the Humanities: Research in a Global World
• Technology and the Humanities: Research in a Digitized World
• Interdisciplinarity in the Humanities: Research that Crosses the Boundaries
• Kudzu on the Ivory Tower: Humanities Research and Environmental Crisis
Presentation description and conference format
Natures is an annual conference held on the beautiful arboretum status campus of La Sierra University during the month of February, when the weather in Southern California is the envy of the nation. The one-day event is comprised of four concurrent, and two plenary sessions, which annually attracts graduate students from local, national, and international institutions. A distinguished faculty-level scholar is invited each year to deliver both a plenary address on a research topic and a seminar on academic life. For the history of the conference and other information please visit the conference website at: http://lasierra.orgsync.com/org/naturesconference .
All abstracts should be submitted via a form provided at http://lasierra.orgsync.com/org/naturesconference by December 1, 2011. Responses to submissions will be made by December 16, 2011.
All participating presenters will pay a registration fee, which includes breakfast, lunch, two snacks, and program related materials. Registration will be processed through a form at http://lasierra.orgsync.com/org/naturesconference.
• Regular registration (on or before January 6, 2012) = $40
• Late registration (payable until February 10, 2012) = $60.