Pedagogies and the Profession
The Pedagogies and the Profession Area of the Southwest/Texas Popular and American Culture Association is now accepting proposals for paper presentations and panels on any topic involving successful or innovative approaches for teaching literature, media studies, film, cultural studies, television, rhetoric and composition, technical writing, or technology. We also welcome proposals that identify and discuss the existence or implication of specific pedagogical problems or issues, whether or not these advance any new methodologies.
Teachers from any type of school or curriculum are encouraged to submit proposals. Graduate students with teaching experience are particularly welcome with award opportunities for best graduate papers.
While we encourage and welcome all topics involving pedagogy and/or curriculum development, some suggestions for possible papers or panels are listed below:
● Using this year's theme "Food & Culture in a Global Context" in the classroom
● Combining unusual disciplines in Writing Across the Curriculum courses
● Utilizing new media technologies or Web 2.0 tools
● Discussing the benefits and challenges of online teaching
● Teaching games and game theory
● Utilizing social networking tools in the class room
● Using Wikis or Blogs in the classroom
● Teaching with podcasts and videocasts
● Editing family letters and/or journals in student projects
● Promoting active learning by co-opting structures typically associated with webpages
● Integrating service learning with traditional curricula
● Constructing student projects as museum exhibits
Proposals must include: 1) A 100-250 word abstract, including name of presenter(s) and contact information; 2) A brief biographical statement of 50 words or less; 3) List of audiovisual equipment you will need for your presentation (please check the Conference Audiovisual Policies at http://swtxpca.org/documents/pages.html before submitting your request). You can submit your documents as .doc, .docx, .pages, or .rtf documents for the proposals, preferably to the submission database (http://conference2012.swtxpca.org) or to both email addresses below if the database is offline. While we will accept proposals until December 1, 2011, we will give first consideration to proposals received by November 25, 2011. Also, please submit proposals that include multiple presenters by November 25, 2011.
February 8-11, 2012
Proposal submission deadline: December 1, 2011
(For best consideration dates, see details below)
Hyatt Regency Albuquerque
330 Tijeras Avenue NW
Albuquerque, NM 87102