CFP: Consumer Culture and Advertising at SW/TX PCA/ACA 33rd Annual Conference, Feb 8-11, 2012
Proposal submission deadline: December 1, 2011
Proposals are now being accepted for the Consumer Culture and Advertising area. Presentations on historical or contemporary subjects are welcome. Topics might include, but are not limited to:
• consumer goods: product development, inventors, marketing, design
• advertising: graphic design, word & image, use of logos/slogans/jingles, persuasive devices, product placement, cross-advertising
• spokespersons: salespeople, actors, authorities, celebrities
• advertising media: billboards, magazines, newspapers, packaging, TV, internet, spam, social media
• sites of consumption, consuming activities, consumption on display
• consumer mentality and behavior: methods, motivations behind consumption; consumption and identity; psychological aspects (addiction, hoarding, etc.)
• effects of consumer culture: physical waste, ecological distress, economic issues, etc.
• theoretical investigations into the cycle of consumption and the relationship between producer, product, and consumer
In keeping with this year's conference theme, "Food & Culture(s) in a Global Context," proposals on the following topics are especially encouraged:
• food as a commodity: the packaging, labeling, sale, and distribution of food; food promoters; food movements (organic, local, etc.)
• food consumption: sites; activities; preservation, display; waste; related behaviors (over or under eating, addiction, etc.)
Applicants should submit their 250-word abstract directly to the conference database at: http://conference2012.swtxpca.org. Deadline for submissions is December 1, 2011. Accepted applicants will be notified by email and must register for the conference by December 31, 2011.
The conference will be held on February 8-12, 2012 in Albuquerque, NM, at the Hyatt Regency Hotel & Conference Center.
Information about SWTX PCA/ACA, our areas of study, conference travel, lodging, and award opportunities for graduate students can be found on our website: http://www.swtxpca.org.
For questions related to the Consumer Culture and Advertising area, please contact:
Michelle Kaiserlian, PhD
Department of Art
Austin Community College