New Perspectives on Women and the Irish Diaspora - 24th March 2012
New Perspectives on Women and the Irish Diaspora
24th March 2012
Keynote Speakers: Dr Breda Gray, Dr Louise Ryan, and Professor Bronwen Walter
This one-day conference, funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council, will provide a multidisciplinary forum for scholars with research interests in women and the Irish diaspora. In addition to keynote addresses by Breda Gray, Louise Ryan, and Bronwen Walter, the conference will include a roundtable discussion with representatives of charity-based organisations that work closely with the Irish community in Britain, and a reading by the writer Moy McCrory.
Possible topics might include, but are not limited to:
· The history of Irish women's emigration
· The representation of Irish women and exile in literature and
· Irish women, writing, and cultural memory
· Women and recent migration patterns from Ireland
· Irish women emigrants and oral history
· Comparative studies of Irish women in Britain and other
· Women and first, second, and third generation Irish identities
Abstracts of approximately 300 words for papers of no longer than 20 minutes should be sent via e-mail to Ellen McWilliams (Department of English Literature and Cultural Studies, Bath Spa University – email@example.com) by the 15th December 2011. Attendance at the conference is free.