CFP: Theatre & Performance Studies (UPDATE)
February 8-11, 2012
Conference Theme, "Food & Culture(s) in a Global Context"
Hyatt Regency Albuquerque
300 Tijeras Avenue NW
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Panels are now being formed on topics related to Theatre & Performance Studies in its various forms and approaches. This new Special Topics Area to SWTX PCA/ACA encourages dialogue between varied fields of performance scholarship (i.e., performance studies; theatre, dance, and cultural studies; as well as queer and post-colonial theory), and exploration of critiques of race, ethnicity, class, sexuality, technology, and nation. Papers across performance modes, cultural contexts, and historical periods are welcomed. Topics might include but are not limited to:
• Performativity and theatricality
• Traditional and nontraditional modes of performance
• Rituals and the everyday as performance
• The globalization of culture
• Commodification of culture and the culture of commodification in local and global contexts
• New technologies and social media as performance
• Mainstream popular dance and music: fan culture, pop culture, etc.
• Explorations of highbrow, midbrow, and lowbrow culture(s)
• The relationship between food, the body, and performance, or other topics related to Conference's theme: "Food & Culture(s) in a Global Context"
• Performance for and in protest movements
• Rehabilitation through theatre and other art forms
• Limits, failures, and the impossibility of theatre
• Gender Performativity
• Performance of the body, real and imagined
• Contested boundaries between performance, theatre and other art forms
• Historical approaches and theoretical analyses of musical theatre, Broadway, and other mainstream theatrical forms
• Popular representations of performance in film, television, and media
• Popular and avant garde approaches to theatre
Panels and proposals from graduate students, artists, and independent scholars are welcome, as are non-traditional presentations, roundtables, and performances. Abstracts for single paper proposals, alternative presentations, or panels should be sent by email to the Area Chair, email@example.com.
Theatre & Performance Studies Area Chair
Metropolitan College of New York
Department of American Urban Studies
Please visit the SWTX PCA website for complete information about the organization, areas of study, conference information, exhibitors, affiliated organizations, and graduate student awards. Feel free to share this CFP with friends and colleagues engaged in all aspects of theatre and performance studies.