[UPDATE] Festivals and Faires Area NEW DEADLINE: 12/22/11
The Festivals & Faires Area of the Popular Culture Association welcomes submissions for the 2012 PCA/ACA conference in Boston, MA (April 11-14, 2012) on any festival or faire—modern or historical. Scholars of theatre / theater, drama, performance studies, American studies, popular culture, religion, history, anthropology, folklore, English, theory, and non-western traditions are encouraged to apply. Since the conference is in Boston, MA, any papers relating to festivals and faires in the city or state are greatly appreciated. Other specific areas of interest for this year's panels include, but are not limited to:
1. Burning Man;
2. Contemporary American Renaissance Festivals & Faires, including performative panels;
3. Festivals & Faires from outside the United States;
4. Theatre festivals, Shakespeare festivals, and music festivals;
5. Theorizing the festival framework through such scholars as Victor Turner and Mikhail Bakhtin;
6. Festival atmosphere and environment in non-traditional settings, i.e. conferences, work, school.
In addition to these scholarly presentations, the Festivals and Faires Area proposes the First Annual 10-Minute Play Festival at PCA. Submissions of new works for staged reading and/or performance are highly encouraged.
Inquiries about possible papers or proposals for sessions are also welcomed and encouraged. Please contact me at DrKTKorolEvans@yahoo.com.
If your paper or play is accepted, you will receive an acceptance letter, registration information, the information you'll need to join the PCA/ACA, and the room reservation information.
All papers must be submitted via an on-line format @ http://ncp.pcaaca.org/ no later than December 22, 2011.