[UPDATE] Pedagogies and the Profession
February 13-16, 2013
Proposal submission deadline: November 16, 2012
The Pedagogies and the Profession Area of the Southwest/Texas Popular and American Culture Association is now accepting proposals for paper presentations and panels on any topic involving successful or innovative approaches for teaching literature, media studies, film, cultural studies, television, rhetoric and composition, technical writing, or technology. We also welcome proposals that identify and discuss the existence or implication of specific pedagogical problems or issues, whether or not these advance any new methodologies.
Teachers from any type of school or curriculum are encouraged to submit proposals. Graduate students with teaching experience are particularly welcome with award opportunities for best graduate papers in a variety of categories.
While we encourage and welcome all topics involving pedagogy and/or curriculum development, some suggestions for possible papers or panels are listed below:
● Using this year's theme "Celebrating Popular/American Culture(s) in a Global Context" in the classroom
● Combining unusual disciplines in Writing Across the Curriculum courses
● Utilizing new media technologies or Web 2.0 tools
● Discussing the benefits and challenges of online teaching
● Teaching games and game theory
● Utilizing social networking tools in the class room
● Using Wikis or Blogs in the classroom
● Teaching with podcasts and videocasts
● Editing family letters and/or journals in student projects
● Promoting active learning by co-opting structures typically associated with webpages
● Integrating service learning with traditional curricula
● Constructing student projects as museum exhibits
Proposals must include: 1) A 100-250 word abstract, including name of presenter(s) and contact information; 2) A brief biographical statement of 50 words or less; 3) List of audiovisual equipment you will need for your presentation (please check the Conference Audiovisual Policies at http://swtxpca.org/documents/pages.html before submitting your request). Please submit your documents as .doc, .docx, .pages, or .rtf documents for the proposals to the submission database http://conference2013.swtxpca.org.While we will accept proposals until November 16, 2012, we will give first consideration to the proposals received first. Thank you for submission and we look forward to your participation in the 34th annual SW/TX PCA/ACA Conference!
Pedagogies and the Profession, chair
Hyatt Regency Albuquerque
330 Tijeras Avenue NW
Albuquerque, NM 87102