[UPDATE] Festivals and Faires Area
The Festivals & Faires Area of the Popular Culture Association welcomes submissions for the 2013 PCA/ACA conference in Washington, D.C. on any festival or faire—modern or historical. Scholars of theatre / theater, drama, performance studies, American studies, popular culture, religion, history, anthropology, folklore, English, theory, and non-western traditions are encouraged to apply. Since the conference is in Washington, D.C., any papers relating to festivals and faires in the District are greatly appreciated. Other specific areas of interest for this year's panels include, but are not limited to:
1. Burning Man;
2. Contemporary American Renaissance Festivals & Faires, including performative panels;
3. Festivals & Faires from outside the United States;
4. Theatre festivals, Shakespeare festivals, and music festivals;
5. Theorizing the festival framework through such scholars as Victor Turner and Mikhail Bakhtin;
6. Festival atmosphere and environment in non-traditional settings, i.e. conferences, work, school.
In addition to these scholarly presentations, the Festivals and Faires Area proposes the First Annual 10-Minute Play Festival at PCA. Submissions of new works for staged reading and/or performance are highly encouraged.
Inquiries about possible papers or proposals for sessions are also welcomed and encouraged.
If your paper or play is accepted, you will receive an acceptance letter, registration information, the information you'll need to join the PCA/ACA, and the room reservation information.
Submit a 250-word abstract to the PCA Database by 30 November 2012.