Watermark Journal — Submission Deadline 12/31/2012
Watermark, an annual scholarly journal published by graduate students in the Department of English at California State University, Long Beach, is now seeking papers for our seventh volume to be published in March 2012. Watermark is dedicated to publishing original critical and theoretical papers concerned with the fields of rhetoric and composition and literature of all genres and periods. As this journal is intended to provide a forum for emerging voices, only student work will be considered.
Possible topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Digital rhetoric in the media age
- Gendered, cultural, racial, and economic borders and transitions
- "Green" aesthetics and artistic forms
- Reconsidering regional and/or sentimental literature
- Investigations of Medieval and Renaissance texts
- The construction of minimalism
- (Re)configuring the colonial experience
- Dissident ideas and official voices
- Issues of identity, discipline, and excess
- The ethnicity of pastiche
- Critical perspectives on contemporary popular culture
We are also soliciting submissions for a special supplement to coincide with Re/Invention 2013: Hysteria, CSULB's 2nd Annual Graduate Student Conference. Topics for the supplement may include but certainly are not limited to:
- The Rhetoric of Hysteria
- Comedic Intersections of Class, Race, & Gender
- Queer Bodies & the Wandering Womb
- The Gravitas of Gallows Humor
- FTM Transitions: The Politics of "Passing"
- Hypocrisy & the Hippocratic Corpus
- Mass Hysteria & Mob Mentality
- The Evolution of the Comic Spirit
- Comedy as Cultural Critique
- Interrogating Mental Illness
- Laughter & the Neurotic
- Idiosyncratic Isolation
- Humor as Mediation
- Subversive Stand-Up
The deadline for submissions is Monday, Dec. 31, 2012.
All submissions should include a cover with your name, phone number, email address, and the title of your essay or book review. All submissions should be approximately 10-15 pages and must be typed in MLA format with a standard 12 pt font. Please do not include your name on the essay itself, as it will be reviewed by a blind peer-review panel.
Email papers and cover letters as separate Word attachments to: