[UPDATE] Call for Papers: Film Theory and Aesthetics 2013
Call for Papers: Film Theory and Aesthetics
2013 Southwest/Texas Popular Culture/American Culture Association
"Celebrating Popular/American Culture(s) in a Global Context."
February 13-16, 2013 Hyatt Regency Downtown/ Albuquerque, NM
Proposals are now being sought for review in the Film Theory and Aesthetics Area. Review begins immediately and continues until November 16, 2012. Listed below are some suggestions for possible presentations; other topics in the area are also welcome:
▪ Precinema, Early, and Silent cinema aesthetics
▪ Qu'est-ce que le cinema? Classical Film Theory and its Discontents
▪ Nontheatrical, industrial, and educational film
▪ Montage and Editing: Practice as Theory
▪ Walter Benjamin/Mechanical Reproduction
▪ Apparatus Theory/Cinematography
▪ Visual Effects from Silent to CGI
▪ Spectatorship and Scopophilia
▪ Auteur Theory
▪ Semiotics, Psychoanalysis, Feminism, and Beyond
▪ Evolution of Genre Film/Genre Theory
▪ Definitions of periodicity: aesthetic, chronologic, theoretical
▪ Theories of Third Cinema
▪ Emerging theories of film and/or aesthetics in the digital age
▪ Intersections of Film Theory and cultural or literary theory
--Proposals are being sought for a special panel on the international history, practice and culture of the Magic Lantern—
--Proposals are being sought for a special panel on any aspect of the American Indian Film Gallery collection, http://www.jfredmacdonald.com/aifg/
as it transitions to institutional sponsorship at www.aifg.arizona.edu
After September 1, 2012, please upload an abstract of 250 words and a current curriculum vitae to http://conference2013.swtxpca.org for review no later than November 16, 2012 Inquiries in advance of submissions are welcome, and may be sent to Jennifer L. Jenkins at email@example.com. All confirmed participants should be registered by December 31, 2012.
Further details regarding the conference (listing of all panel areas, hotel, registration, tours, etc.) can be found at http://www.swtxpca.org. A number of graduate student awards are given each year, and graduate student travel grants are also available. I look forward to hearing from you!
Jennifer L. Jenkins, Ph.D.
University of Arizona