[UPDATE] EXTENDED DEADLINE: FOOD & CULTURE CFP
DEADLINE EXTENDED to DECEMBER 2!
The Food and Culture Area of the Southwest/ Texas Popular and American Culture Association invites papers and organized panels for their 34th Annual Conference that will be held February 13-16 at the Hyatt Regency Hotel & Conference Center in Albuquerque, NM. The Conference theme this year is: Celebrating Popular/American Culture(s) in a Global Context.
Scholars from all disciplines are invited to address the intersection of culture and culinary production/consumption.
Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- Class and foodie culture
- Gender/Sexuality and food (Man vs. Food, The Sexual Politics of Meat)
- Representations of ethnic cooking in film and literature
- Food and TV (Food Network, Iron Chef, Top Chef, Cooking Channel)
- Food tourism
- Cooking in popular culture (Hunger Games; Eat, Pray, Love; Julia and Julia; Soylent Green; Babette's Feast; Big Night; Chocolat)
- Food and Globalization
- Culinary Politics and Colonialism
- Documentaries and the food industry (Food Inc.; The Future of Food; Forks Over Knives; Les Glaneurs et la Glaneuse)
- Cooking/eating and trends and identities (Food Trucks, Hegans, Locavores, Slow Foodists, DIY Butchery)
- Food and consuming in literature
- Cooking and coming-of-age novels and memoirs
Scholars, graduate students, foodies and others interested in the intersection of food and culture are encouraged to submit. If you wish to form your own Food and Culture panel, please contact me with information on your panel topic and a list of three to four participants. Please pass this CFP along to your
friends and colleagues.
Graduate student presenters are eligible for travel fellowships and awards. (In 2012, three presenters in the Food and Culture area received Graduate Student Awards!) Please visit http://www.swtxpca.org/documents/48.html for more information.
Proposals for individual presentations and panels, including abstracts and short CVs, should be uploaded to the SW/TX PCA/ACA database (http://conference2013.swtxpca.org) by 2 DECEMBER 2012.