alt.dh.edu -- Digital Humanities special panel -- 3/16-3/17/2013, proposals due 1/15
As part of the 7th annual Northeastern University English Graduate Student Association Conference, alt/, we seek proposals for a special roundtable on innovative digital approaches to literary, historical, and/or cultural materials. The overall conference theme asks participants to consider "alt" as a generative concept, to consider and interpret alterities, alterations, and alternatives. Certainly digital humanities can be read as an "alt" movement within the academy—blurring disciplinary boundaries, upending traditional hierarchies, reimagining research methodologies and scholarly production. To that end, proposals for this special topics panel might address:
• "deformance" as a critical mode
• the opportunities or pitfalls of distant/macro corpora analysis
• innovative approaches to humanities materials afforded by new technologies and tools
• geospatial and network mapping as humanities methodologies
• alternative methods of scholarly production and publication
• the #altac movement
• critiques of DH scientism, positivism, and/or neoliberalism
Participants will speak to these topics in the Pecha Kucha format (http://chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker/challenging-the-presentation-parad...): 20 slides displayed for 20 seconds apiece. This format will keep presentations concise and lively, leaving significant time for an engaged discussion among panelists and the audience at session's end.
Please email 250 word abstracts to Prof. Ryan Cordell at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 15, 2013. Please include your name and affiliation in your email.