search the archive
search the archive
Age, Culture, Humanities - New Journal - 15 February 2013
full name / name of organization:
Age, Culture, Humanities: An Interdisciplinary Journal
Announcement of Publication and Call for Submissions
We are pleased to announce the establishment of a new journal, Age, Culture, Humanities, published by the Atheneum Press of Coastal Carolina University.
Age, Culture, Humanities seeks to promote cross-disciplinary, critical investigations of the experiences of age, aging, and old age, as seen through the lens of the humanities and arts. The goals are to consider age as a category of identity, advance understanding of the aging process and of age differences across the lifespan, interrogate cultural articulations of aging and old age, and generate innovative, engaging scholarly approaches to the study of age and aging in the humanities.
All manuscripts undergo editorial screening; scholarly articles are selected for publication through a double-blind peer review process. The journal will be published annually, both in print and online.
The journal invites submissions in the following areas:
• Rigorous scholarly articles on topics that investigate the critical intersections of the arts and humanities with the aging process. Methodologies and areas of investigation include art history and art criticism; communication and new media; critical theory; cultural studies; disability studies; history; identity studies; late-life creativity; linguistics; literary criticism; performance studies; philosophy and ethics; religious studies; and therapeutic uses of humanities and/or the arts. Submissions may also address the psychological, sociological, political, anthropological, behavioral, or bio-medical dimensions of aging relevant to the humanities and/or the arts. (5,000-9,000 words)
• Scholarly position papers or curated forums on critical themes related to the areas of study listed above. (1,000-3,000 words)
• Brief, well-theorized essays on teaching humanities approaches to age and aging. (2,000-4,000 words)
• Reviews of recent book publications in humanities and arts scholarship relevant to aging and of gerontology scholarship relevant to the arts and/or humanities; reviews of conferences or symposia in these fields. Proposals for extended review essays are also welcome. (Individual reviews 500-1,000 words. Review essays 1,000-3,000 words)
• Reviews of recent fiction, creative non-fiction, poetry, drama, film, performances, and art exhibitions relevant to aging or old age. (500-1,000 words)
• Proposals for themed clusters in future issues are also welcome.
Submission guidelines: Documents and queries may be submitted via email to Cynthia Port (email@example.com). Articles using MLA, Chicago, or APA citation styles will be considered, but accepted articles must be revised by the author into MLA style. The submission deadline for the first issue is 15 February 2013.