search the archive
search the archive
Medieval Codicology and Palaeography (July 15 - July 20, 2013)
full name / name of organization:
CEU Summer University
Central European University, Budapest announces its international postgraduate summer course on "Medieval Codicology and Palaeography" (July 15 - July 20, 2013) for graduate students and junior researchers and faculty preferably in humanities.
Detailed course information: http://www.summer.ceu.hu/codicology-2013
Anna Somfai, Senior Research Fellow, Medieval Studies Department, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary
Niels Gaul, Medieval Studies Department, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary
The aim of the one-week course is to provide practical training in the basic skills of Latin and Greek palaeography, combined with lectures on selected issues in codicology and diplomatic based on a new approach toward manuscript studies and the latest trends in research. The course includes visits to manuscript holding libraries and archives.
1. The palaeography seminars provide practical training in Latin and Greek palaeography at an intermediate level, focusing on transcribing various scripts across broad chronological and geographic areas and dealing with issues such as recognition of script and dating of hand. Seminars will run in two parallel options: Latin book hand and diplomatic hand and Greek book hand and diplomatic hand.
2. The lectures on codicology and diplomatics given by the faculty complement and contextualize the practice of the intensive transcription seminars.
3. Visits to manuscript holding libraries and archives will facilitate contact with manuscripts in the original.
4. Consultation sessions will enable students to address particular issues on an individual basis or in small groups.
5. A practical palaeography test on the last day will serve as a way to test the knowledge acquired during the course. The test will include the transcription of a Latin or Greek text (photocopied facsimile), recognition of script, the description of the characteristics of the script and approximate dating of hand.
The course is aimed at MA and PhD students and young researchers. Working knowledge of Latin and/or Greek and elementary knowledge of palaeography are required.
Language of instruction: English
Application deadline: February 15, 2013