CFP: Romantic Origins Conference for PG and ECRs (5 April 2013, HRI, University of Sheffield)
CFP: Romantic Origins Conference
5 April 2013, 10:00-18:00
Humanities Research Institute Building, University of Sheffield
The AHRC-sponsored Romantic Heirs research network is pleased to announce the date of its inaugural conference on the theme of Romantic origins. The conference, to be held at the University of Sheffield on 5 April 2013, is free to attend and includes lunchtime refreshments (gratis) and a post-conference dinner. The day's events include:
- a plenary paper by Dr Madeleine Callaghan, lecturer at the University of Sheffield and assistant editor of The Oxford Handbook of Shelley Studies (2012);
- roundtable discussions on the origins of Romanticism;
- a talk on the emerging use of digital platforms in the Arts and Humanities with an invitation to publish your own work on the network's website;
- an opportunity to get involved in the development of the network's future activities.
The conference organisers especially welcome postgraduate and early-career researchers to submit proposals of 250 words for short position papers of approx. 1500 words. These short papers will be read in advance by attendees and then discussed in roundtable sessions on the day of the conference. Topics for position papers may include:
- early Romanticism;
- interactions and dialogues with pre-Romantic writers, poets, artists and musicians and their influence(s);
- historical and sociological themes on the emergence of Romanticism;
- placing the boundary between Enlightenment and Romantic cultural practices;
- pre-Romantic culture and its impact;
- Romanticism's interactions with classicism and/or the ancient world.
Please submit and address all queries to email@example.com The deadline for proposal submission is 10 March 2013. Completed position papers should be submitted by 20 March 2013 so that they may be circulated among participants.