full name / name of organization:
Loyola's Walker Percy Center / New Orleans
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO: April 1, 2013
WHERE: The campus of Loyola University in uptown New Orleans
WHEN: October 11, 12, 2013
DESCRIPTION OF CONFERENCE:
Inspired by Walker Percy’s Lost in the Cosmos, the second biennial Walker Percy Conference seeks to explore the themes and issues generated by Percy’s lively analysis of the modern condition.
KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Paul Elie, author of The Life You Save May Be Your Own: An American Pilgrimage. It is a biography of 4 American Catholic writers: Thomas Merton was a Trappist monk; Dorothy Day the founder of the Catholic Worker; Flannery O'Connor a "Christ-haunted" Catholic; and Walker Percy a doctor who wrote fiction and philosophy.
We welcome both session proposals and individual paper abstracts addressing any topics relevant to Walker Percy’s non-fiction book Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book.
Presentations should be twenty minutes.
Please send two-page session proposals and/or one-page individual paper abstracts by April 1, 2013 to email@example.com
EXTENDED DEADLINE: April 1, 2013
Possible topics include but are not limited to the following:
* The Meaning of Cosmos: Walker Percy and Science Fiction
* Cultural Protestantism and Religious Catholicism: Percy’s heritage and conversion
* Percy and psychology: Percy and Jung, Percy and Freud, or Percy and Behaviorism, etc.
* The Self-Help Book: From Self to Soul
* Walker Percy and Semiotics
* Walker Percy’s Fiction and Transcendence
* Walker Percy, Science, Science Fiction, Faith and Belief
* Walker Percy: Life, Death, and the Cosmos
* Lost in the Cosmos: Thirty Years Later
* Teaching Percy to Post-Millennial Students
* Percy vs. Sagan: Spiritual and Secular Visions of the Cosmos
* Thought Experiments: Percy and Postmodern Fiction
* Ideas of the Self from the Cave to the Cosmos
* The Lonely Self: Man (and Woman) Lost in the Cosmos
For more information: http://www.loyno.edu/wpc/call-papers-2nd-biennial-walker-percy-conferenc...
Please direct any questions to:
Dr. Mary McCay, Director: (504) 865-3389 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rhoda Faust, Administrative Assistant: (504) 864-7041 email: email@example.com
We hope you will join us!