CFP Death Studies MPCA/ACA 2013
Call for Papers: Death Studies
2013 Midwest Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association Conference
Friday-Sunday, October 11-13, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
St. Louis Union Station Hotel
Deadline: April 30, 2012
This is a new area for the MPCA/ACA so the goal of the call is to show the depth, breadth, and contours of death studies. Topics can include, but are not limited to:
- death in literature, visual art, music, and film
- cultural practices surrounding death and end of life
- use of social media in grieving and bereavement
- commodification of death, grieving, bereavement, and memorialization
- grief, bereavement, and memorialization as labor
- geographies of death and the spatialization death
- legal structures surrounding end of life issues
- ownership of digital and physical remains
- the future of death studies
Please upload 250 word abstract proposals on any aspect of Death Studies to the Death Studies area: http://submissions.mpcaaca.org/.
Any questions? Please email the area chair, Amy Drees at firstname.lastname@example.org
More information about the conference can be found at http://www.mpcaaca.org/
Please note the availability of graduate student travel grants: http://mpcaaca.org/conference/travel-grants/.
Please include your name, affiliation, and e-mail address with the 250-500 word abstract. Individuals may only submit one paper, and please do not submit the same item to more than one Area. Indicate in your submission whether your presentation will require an LCD projector. You will need to bring your own computer.
Deadline for receipt of proposals is April 30, 2013.
A preliminary version of the schedule will be posted on our website around August 2013. The final version will be distributed in hard copy at the conference. For privacy reasons, we do not publish e-mail addresses in the online version of the program.