full name / name of organization:
Semiotic Society of America
CALL FOR PAPERS
The Semiotic Society of America
invites the submission of abstracts for presentation at its
38th Annual Meeting, to be held
October 24th through October 27th 2013 in Dayton, Ohio
SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS:
Any topic related to semiotics can be submitted as a paper or panel (3-4 papers) proposal. The non-restrictive theme of the meeting is “Why Semiotics” in order to promote discussion about why and how semiotics is and can be used as a research methodology. Proposals must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide the following information:
1. Author’s Name
2. Title of Paper or Panel
3. Institutional Affiliation and Academic Status
4. Abstract: approximately 150 words
5. Index Key Words (approximately 5-7) and AV Requirements (only if necessary; try to avoid)
All of the above information should not have any special fonts or graphics and must be included in the body of the email. Proposals received by June 1st, 2013 will be given preference on the final program; early submission of proposals, both for individual papers and for panels, is recommended. Panel abstracts must include all of the above information for each paper to be presented on the panel.
LOCATION AND ACCOMMODATIONS:
The meeting will take place at the Crowne Plaza Hotel located at 33 East Fifth Street, Dayton Ohio. Please contact the hotel via phone: 1-800-227-6963 or online: www.cpdayton.com to make your reservations or with any questions you may have. The SSA has secured the following bonuses for conference attendees:
1. Room Rate of $96.00 USD per night: Please mention the code “SSA” when booking your stay.
2. Complimentary Airport Shuttle: (for travel between the Dayton Airport and the hotel). You may arrange for shuttle transportation in advance or upon arrival by calling 937-224-0800. (Please note that the shuttle is only available until 10:00pm each day).
3. Complimentary Covered Parking: available at the Convention Center Garage, which is attached to the Crowne Plaza via skywalk.
OF SPECIAL INTEREST:
• Pre-conference Workshops in Applied Semiotics, October 24th 2013: This year’s meeting will offer workshops designed for students and scholars new to semiotics, but also of interest to experienced scholars as well. The workshops will include lunch as well as an exceptional introductory seminar and experts in a variety of disciplinary specialties will lead breakout sessions. When registering for workshops, please specify disciplines of interest to you.
• Plenary Address and Welcoming Reception: Evening of October 24th, 2013
• Roberta Kevelson Award: Student submissions will be eligible for the Roberta Kevelson Award which honors the best student paper presented at the SSA Annual Meeting. Students who wish to be considered for the Kevelson Award should indicate their interest with their abstract submission.
• Proceedings Volume: Papers presented at the meeting are eligible for publication in the Semiotic 2013 Proceedings Volume. The Proceedings Volume submissions details and deadlines will be specified in the official Conference Program.
REGISTRATION AND FEES:
Please note that in accord with Article 4, Section 4, of the SSA Constitution: “Only Individual, Student, and Honorary members in good standing may offer papers to the Program Committee for oral presentation at meetings of the Society.”
1. Membership: Must be in good standing at or before the time of abstract submission.
2. Conference Registration: is required.
3. Meal Fees include:
a. Breakfast (3 days)
b. Lunch (2 days)
c. Afternoon snacks (2 days)
d. All-day Beverage Service (2 days)
e. Evening Reception (1 night) with open wine bar
4. The Seminar/Workshops Fee includes lunch (1 day) and all workshops.
SSA Membership Dues (Regular): $50.00
SSA Membership Dues (Student): $30.00
Conference Fee (Regular): $125.00
Conference Fee (Student): $60.00
Meals Fee: $70.00
Seminar/Workshops Fee: $25.00
Late (or On-site) Registration Fee: $25.00
(After June 16th, 2013)
To register, please contact:
Tel: (+01) 434-220-3300
Toll Free: 1-800-444-2419 (US & Canada)
For more information, please visit: