full name / name of organization:
Americana: The Institute for the Study of American Popular Culture invites you to submit poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction/memoir for PRIZE AMERICANA.
We believe that creative writers create our future popular culture and must be supported as they express the hopes, dreams, struggles, and challenges of their age. Winners will receive publication by Press Americana. We are open to all styles and genres.
We would like to congratulate Agustin D. Martinez for his novel The Mares of Lenin Park, which won Prize Americans for Prose 2012.
We would also like to congratulate Peter Neil Carroll for his manuscript A Child Turns Back to Wave: Poetry of Lost Places which won Prize Americana for Poetry 2012.
PRIZE AMERICANA FOR PROSE 2013
(FICTION OR NONFICTION/MEMOIR)
DEADLINE 5 JUNE 2013
Submit 130-200 page manuscript to email@example.com.
The processing fee of $25 may be paid electronically through Paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org or checks/money orders may be mailed to Americana, 7095-1240 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, California 90028.
Submission to Prize Americana implies acceptance of the following rules:
1) Submissions will be judged by select members of the Advisory Board and Editors of
PRESS AMERICANA and REVIEW AMERICANA. All decisions will be considered final and will not be subject to dispute.
2) We subscribe to the Council of Literary Magazines and Presses Contest Code of Ethics. As such, all submissions are reviewed blindly.
3) Winners of Prize Americana for Poetry will be published by The Poetry Press, the poetry imprint of Press Americana. They will receive the same contract as any other writer publishing through the press and will work with an editor for the press.
4) Winners of Prize Americana for Prose will be published by Hollywood Books International, the fiction/creative nonfiction imprint of Press Americana. They will receive the same contract as any other writer publishing through the press and will work with an editor for the press.
5) Press Americana publishes in paperback only. Authors may make the decision to distribute in eBook formats as well.
6) American citizenship is not a requirement; the only requirement is that the work hold some appeal for an American readership and bear some relationship with American culture.
7) Manuscripts must be previously unpublished. Individual stories or poems may have been published in literary reviews etc., but the work as a whole should be available for publication.
8) All questions may be emailed to the Executive Director, Dr. Leslie Kreiner Wilson, email@example.com.
PREVIOUS PRIZE AMERICANA WINNERS
Peter Neil Carroll, A Child Turns Back to Wave: Poetry of Lost Places, 2012
Jacqueline K. Powers, The Mysteries of FIshing and Flight, 2011
Alexandria Ashford, Danke Schoen, 2010
Agustin D. Martinez, The Mares of Lenin Park, 2012
Katherine L. Holmes, Curiosity Killed the Sphinx and Other Stories, 2011
Alan Davis, So Bravely Vegetative, 2010