"In a Wired World: Literature in the Age of Information Technology".
Theme: "In a Wired World: Literature in the Age of Information Technology"
Venue: University of Jammu, Jammu (J&K)INDIA
Date: 21-23 February 2014
The 13th International MELUS-MELOW Conference will be held in Jammu in collaboration with the University of Jammu on 21-23 February 2014.
The broad conference theme will be "In a Wired World: Literature in the Age of Information Technology". The focus will be on the various ways in which the dissemination of literature has undergone a sea-change in recent times with the advance in technology and information sciences.
Whereas earlier modes of transmission included the wandering story-teller, the oral tale and the printed book, literature today travels through technology from one place to another, from the teller to the recipient. Popular forms of communication now are the cinema, the TV and the internet. All three provide entertainment as well as information. Then there is also the Blogger and the Facebook, Twitter and other new inventions which are not only effective means of communication / dissemination of information today but also effective tools for the generating and sustaining an interest in the study of literature. Fast-paced technological advances made have re-shaped the cultural order of the world and also brought about radical changes in the field of literature.
The 2014 conference will be divided into panels that focus on the following sub-themes:
· Impact of Technology on the Study of Literature (Poetry, Novel, Drama)
· Sociological and Psychological Perspectives
· Comics, Graphics, Animations, Children's Literature
· Role of the Media: Films, TV, Radio
· Re-working of Classics in the Information Age
· The Virtual Vs the Real World
Please note: (a) The focus will remain on literature. (b) In case of any overlapping of themes in the abstracts submitted, you may be asked to send another abstract on a different theme.
Your abstract should be sent in the TEXT BOX of the email (not as attachment). The following information, in the given format, should be sent along with the abstract:
Name of Delegate
Address and email id
Title of Abstract
MELUS/MELOW conferences attended earlier (in which year and where)
Are you currently a member of MELUS or MELOW? Or do you need a fresh / renewed membership? Please specify.
EMAIL YOUR ABSTRACT TO:
• The subject line of your message should read thus:
• ABSTRACT 2013: [YOUR NAME] and [If applicable] - state if you are an Indian citizen below 40, competing for the ISM award
• Deadline for receipt of abstracts is 15 July 2013.
All abstracts will be peer-reviewed before they are accepted.
In case of an over-lap (or if too many abstracts are received on similar themes) you may be asked to send another abstract. A second deadline be given for revised abstracts.
Do not send full papers. Once acceptance letters are sent full papers (approx 3,000 words) will be invited from participants (under 40 years of age) competing for the Isaac Sequeira Memorial Award.
Local Organizing Committee:
Prof. Satnam Kour
Prof. Posh Charak
Prof. Deepshikha Kotwal
Prof. Sucheta Pathania
Dr. Monika Sethi
Dr. Sadaf Shah
Dr. Ravinder Singh
Dr. Garima Gupta
(The Society for the Study of the Multi-Ethnic Literatures of the World)
(The Society for the Study of the Multi-Ethnic Literature of the United States)
President: Prof Sushila Singh, BHU, Varanasi.
Vice-President: Prof Anil Raina, PU, Chandigarh.
Secretary: Prof Manju Jaidka, PU, Chandigarh.
Jt. Secy: Dr Manpreet Kaur, IPU, Delhi.
Treasurer: Dr Meenu Gupta, PU, Chandigarh.
· Prof Ashis Sengupta (Darjeeling
· Dr Vijay Sharma (Delhi)
· Dr A. Hari Prasad (Hyderabad)
· Dr Roshan Sharma (Solan, HP)
· Dr RG Kulkarni (Sangli)
· Dr Pranav Joshipura (Gujrat)
· Dr Seema Bhupendra (Rajasthan)
· Dr Neela Sarkar (WB)
· Dr Ravinder Singh (Jammu)
· Dr Jyoti Mishra (CG)
· Prof Paul Giles, Oxford University
· Prof Mukesh Williams, Soka University, Japan
· Prof Sushi Dutta-Sandhu, U Mich, Kalamazoo, USA
· Prof E. Nageswara Rao,