New Voices 2014 Graduate Student Conference- Origins, Identity, and Authenticity - January 30th-February 1st, 2014 - Atlanta, GA
New Voices is an interdisciplinary graduate student conference hosted by Georgia State University's English department and sponsored by the department's Graduate English Association. The conference is designed to provide emerging and experienced graduate scholars in the humanities with a forum for sharing their latest research. While the conference has a different suggested theme each year, adherence to the suggested theme is not at all necessary to be considered for inclusion in the conference. New Voices invites papers on all topics and themes related not only to English studies, but all other humanities disciplines as well as the social sciences and political science.
2014 Suggested Theme:
Origins, Identity, and Authenticity
An old Coca-Cola slogan proclaimed the soft drink to be "the Real Thing." But what exactly makes something "the Real Thing"? How do we know when we're dealing with it, as opposed to some pale imitation or insubstantial mirage? Is it even possible to locate "the Real Thing" – and, if so, where and when can we find it? What answers have writers, artists, and thinkers offered to these questions throughout history? And how do those answers shape the ways that cultures across the globe and throughout history have conceptualized, constructed, and enacted identity?
Suggested Topics include:
· the ontology of reference and representation
· frauds, forgeries, and falsehoods
· döppelgangers and other forms of doubling
· rhetorical constructions and performances of identity
· issues of originality and identity in composition studies
· issues in autobiographical and adaptation studies
· issues of identity and authenticity in pop-cultural communities (e.g., hip hop or "geekdom")
· the origins of ideas, movements, and texts
****Deadline for Submission****
December 2nd, 2013
Conference Registration Fee: $10 (payable at the conference)
Please contact New Voices at email@example.com with questions regarding submissions.