full name / name of organization:
Euro-Balkan University, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
CALL FOR PAPERS
INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC SYMPOSIUM “DAYS OF JUSTINIAN I”
SYMPOSIUM THEME FOR 2013
“MACEDONIA AND THE BALKANS IN THE BYZANTINE COMMONWEALTH”
Skopje 18-19 October, 2013
Organized by EURO-BALKAN UNIVERSITY, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
with the financial support of the MINISTRY OF CULTURE of the Republic of Macedonia
The International scientific symposium “Days of Justinian I” is an annual interdisciplinary scientific forum for presentation of the latest research and discussion of various aspects of Byzantine and Medieval Studies, which includes the treatment and interpretation of Byzantine and Medieval cultural, historical and spiritual heritage in contemporary European politics and history. The theme of this year’s scientific symposium “Macedonia and the Balkans in the Byzantine Commonwealth” is focused on analyzing the specifics, differences and similarities of the Balkan region from the perspective of the impact of Byzantine as a dominant political, cultural, religious and aesthetic model. The purpose of the scientific meeting is to explore the concept of the Byzantine
Commonwealth and to define the place of Macedonia and the Balkans, treating the phenomenon of Byzantium as Universal Empire being in a continuous interaction and conflict with Western Christianity and Christian-Islamic Orient.
Papers are welcomed on various aspects that could include the following areas of discussion:
• Byzantine Commonwealth: historical reality or modern construct?
• The place of Macedonia and the Balkans in the Byzantine Commonwealth;
• Byzantium as a cultural, aesthetic and religious model for political elites in the
• Balkan countries in the Byzantine “hierarchy of states”;
• Ethnicity and identity in the Middle Ages: the Byzantine civilization concept
and definition of “others” in the Balkans;
• Byzantine mission in the Balkans: religion, politics, diplomacy;
• The Balkans between Byzantium, Western Europe and the Orient;
• Byzantium after Byzantium: treatment and influence of Byzantine concepts
and practices on post-medieval successors in Macedonia and in the Balkans;
• The representation of Byzantium in art, literature, music and material culture
in the Balkans;
• Byzantine religious concept and modernity: tradition and influences;
• Byzantine cultural heritage: interpretation, restoration, protection;
• Archeological heritage and the research of the Byzantine history, society and
Deadline for submitting the abstract of the papers: September 15, 2013
Notification of acceptance for early applicants: August 10, 2013
Notification of acceptance for other applicants: September 20, 2013
Deadline for submitting the full papers for publication: January 31, 2014
Please check the Euro-Balkan website: www.euba.edu.mk for news on the symposium, the agenda, special events and the online application form.
Please send the application form to: email@example.com
Blvd. Partizanski Odredi 63, 1000, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
Tel/Fax. 00389 2 3075570
Presentation of the papers will be limited to 15 minutes.
Working languages: Macedonian and English.
No participation fee is required. Travel and accommodation expenses are covered by the participants themselves.
The full papers will be peer-reviewed by the International Programme
Committee and the International Editorial Board. Papers delivered at the Symposium will be published in the Proceedings of the Symposium.
For further inquires please contact: Ivana Kraјcinoviк
Symposiarch: Professor Mitko B. Panov