[UPDATE] Deadline 7/4: War Beyond the Battlefield: 21st-Century Conflicts (War & Am Lit Symp, New Orleans, Oct 10-12, 2013)
The Society for Contemporary Literature, a group dedicated to the study of literature of the last 25 years, invites 300-word abstracts for presentations at the War & American Literature Symposium of the American Literature Assoc. We encourage scholars to think broadly about contemporary conflicts and their influence on literature and Americans' sense of identity.
Starting points for discussion include the following:
• 9/11 and its aftermath
• Reflections by current or former soldiers
• Narratives by civilians involved in or affected by military conflicts
• American fiction or memoir about global conflicts
• Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq
• Graphic novel representations of war
• Emerging/experimental genres and war
Please send 300-word abstracts and one-paragraph bio statements to Karen Weekes (email@example.com) by July 4, 2013; submissions should be sent via email with the subject line "SCL War Symposium abstract." Note that scholars are limited to one presentation at this conference and that no audio-visual equipment will be available. Notifications will be sent by July 15, 2013, in order to allow submission to the general CFP by its deadline.