Australian & American Cinemas: Transnational Perspectives
Australian and American Cinemas: Transnational Perspectives
Oscar nominations earlier this year for Hugh Jackman, Naomi Watts, and Jacki Weaver as well as Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of The Great Gatsby remind us of the ongoing relationship between Australia and the United States, both in terms of talent and industries, in global Hollywood. Yet comparative studies of these national cinemas have been fairly limited. This collection seeks to redress that oversight while encouraging future studies. I seek proposals, broadly conceived, for a collection examining the underexplored parallels between Australian and American cinemas through a transnational lens. Topics may include:
• Comparisons of Australian and American films, either by theme, representation, or genre
• Star studies of Australian actors in both Australian and American entertainment: Mel Gibson, Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchett, Naomi Watts, Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman, Eric Bana, Toni Collette, Heath Ledger, Judy Davis, Guy Pearce, Geoffrey Rush
• Australian directors working in Hollywood: Peter Weir, Bruce Beresford, Gillian Armstrong, Baz Luhrmann, Philip Noyce, P. J. Hogan, Alex Proyas, Jocelyn Moorhouse, Scott Hicks, Fred Schepisi
• Australian adaptations of American stories/novels and American adaptations of Australian stories/novels: Schindler's List, the Broadway musical version of The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
• reception studies: American audiences viewing Australian films (Mad Max, Priscilla, Muriel's Wedding) or Australians viewing American films
• industry studies, especially the relationship between the film industry and the state
• Australian-American collaborations
• Images of Australia in American cinema and images of the United States in Australian cinema
Please submit a proposal of 200 words and a vita to email@example.com by November 15, 2013. A working bibliography of 3 to 5 sources is highly encouraged. A major press has expressed early interest, so notifications will be made by December 1, 2013 with initial deadlines for April 1, 2014.
Feel free to email me with any questions.