[UPDATE] Crime and Detection in the Age of Electronic Reproduction: Tradition, Expectations, Genres and Codes
The English Department, Faculty of Science, Humanities and Education, Technical University of Liberec in cooperation with the Department of Foreign Languages, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Brno University of Technology kindly invite you to the international conference
Crime and Detection in the Age of Electronic Reproduction:
Traditions, Expectations, Genres and Codes.
Although detective fiction is popularly conceived as a niche genre, even a superficial look at contemporary literature, film, television and computer games shows its pervasive presence. One meets crime, murder, robbery, detection and investigation in all layers of cultural production from popular bestsellers and blockbusters to the very peak of the canon.
Thus, we invite papers analyzing the cultural representations of crime and detection in the broadest sense conceivable.
Possible topics include (but are not limited to):
- Detection as a narrative device in (post)modern fiction.
- Gender, sex and sexuality in crime and investigation.
- Technologies of investigation and their representation.
- The spatial aspects of crime and detection.
- Codes, rules, expectations and fictional devices in investigative docu-series.
- Private-eyes and police inspectors on- and off-screen.
- The (im)possibility of detection in contemporary fiction, film and series.
- Criminals as detectives, detectives as criminals.
- Interactive investigation from gamebooks through poll-based TV-series and computer games to on-line entertainment.
- Detectives and criminals as artists, crime and detection as art.
- Crime as an instrument of social control.
Invited keynote speakers:
Bonita Rhoads, Masaryk University
Elke Weissmann, Edge Hill University
A selection of the proceedings of the conference will be published in a peer-reviewed volume.
Prolonged deadline for submitting abstracts:
15 October 2013
For more information go to:
Or contact the organizers:
David Levente Palatinus - firstname.lastname@example.org
Martina Vranova - email@example.com
Zeno Vernyik - firstname.lastname@example.org