search the archive
search the archive
Irish Literature at CEA 2014, March 27-29
full name / name of organization:
2014 College English Association Conference
Call for Papers: Irish Literature at CEA 2014
The College English Association, a gathering of scholar-teachers in English studies, welcomes proposals for presentations on Irish literature for our 45th annual conference.
While we welcome essays pertaining to any area of Irish literature, we are particularly interested in explorations of “horizons” in Irish literature and culture, including rhetorical studies, books, films, digital texts, and other media.
Deadline: November 1, 2013
Conference Theme: Horizons
• Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe “The decline of literature indicates the decline of a nation.”
• Dr. Samuel Johnson, “So different are the colours of life, as we look forward to the future, or backward to the past; and so different the opinions and sentiments which this contrariety of appearance naturally produces, that the conversation of the old and young ends generally with contempt or pity on either side.”
• Washington Irving, “The land of literature is a fairy land to those who view it at a distance, but, like all other landscapes, the charm fades on a nearer approach, and the thorns and briars become visible.”
• Percy Bysshe Shelley, “Fear not for the future, weep not for the past.”
• Charlotte Bronte, “Memory in youth is active and easily impressible; in old age it is comparatively callous to new impressions, but still retains vividly those of earlier years.”
• T. S. Eliot, “No poet, no artist of any art, has his complete meaning alone. His significance, his appreciation is the appreciation of his relation to the dead poets and artists.”
• Willa Cather, “The dead might as well try to speak to the living as the old to the young.”
• Robert Penn Warren, “The past is always a rebuke to the present.”
For our 2014 meeting, CEA invites papers and panels that explore the literary, the pedagogical, and the professional “horizons” of our field.
General Call for Papers
Submission Deadline: November 1, 2013
For more information on how to submit, please see the full CFP at http://www.cea-web.org
Other questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.