search the archive
search the archive
[UPDATE] New Voices 2014 Graduate Student Conference- Origins, Identity, and Authenticity - 01/30/14 - 02/01/14 - Atlanta, GA
full name / name of organization:
New Voices Graduate Student Conference
2014 Suggested Theme:
An old Coca-Cola slogan proclaimed the soft drink to be “the Real Thing.” But what exactly makes something “the Real Thing”? How do we know when we’re dealing with it, as opposed to some pale imitation or insubstantial mirage? Is it even possible to locate “the Real Thing” – and, if so, where and when can we find it? What answers have writers, artists, and thinkers offered to these questions throughout history? And how do those answers shape the ways that cultures across the globe and throughout history have conceptualized, constructed, and enacted identity?
Suggested Topics include:
· the ontology of reference and representation
We welcome submissions for presentations, panels, roundtables, strands, and pedagogical demonstrations from ALL disciplines, on ALL topics. Your work does not have to fit the theme to be accepted!
SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS FOR PAPER AND PANEL PROPOSALS:
1. For individual papers, please submit an abstract (250 words maximum) along with your name, phone number, email address, institutional affiliation, and discipline.
2. For panels, please submit the following:
a. A proposal abstract for the panel (400 words maximum)
b. A brief description of each individual panelist’s paper (250 words maximum)
3. If your presentation requires any visual media, please let us know (projector, DVD, sound, etc).
4. Please submit email proposals as Microsoft Word attachment (.doc or .docx), and include the phrase “New Voices abstract submission” in the subject line.
****Deadline for Submission****
Please contact New Voices at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding submissions.