International Conference: 26-29 June 2014: What Is Art Good For? The Role of Literature and the Arts in Contemporary Society
Call for Papers: What Is Art Good For? The Role of Literature and the Arts in Contemporary Society
26-29 June 2014
Faculty of Letters, University of Suceava, Romania
The Modernist Literature and Economic Theory collective based at the English Department, University of Suceava invites contributions for a conference focusing on the role of literature and the arts in today's world in relation to religion, the economic crisis, activism, terrorism, public impact, personal value, and economic value and production. The scope of presentations is broadly inclusive: proposals for papers on the role of literature and art of any period will be considered as long as they address one or more of the following topics:
• Art as a Form of Religious Experience: is the artist a priest of the imagination?
• Art and Economic Materialism: can art help us to overcome the economic crisis?
• Art and Social Change: is the activist an artist (in women's rights organisations, environmental protection organisations, Greenpeace, etc.)?
• Art and Violence: does art play a role in terrorism, mass-murders, or war?
• 'Words never ground a grain of corn': Is art useful for material production?
• Can Art Be Quantified in Material Terms?
• Art and the Urban Distribution of the Self: Is architecture a reiteration of a mirrored reader?
• Buildings as Texts: How can we draw an artistic identity in an urban co(n)text?
• Consuming Cities: Mechanical gestures of consumerist acting (tourism, shopping, promenade, etc.) re-produced within literature.
We invite proposals from senior as well as junior academics, and also from representatives of non-governmental or governmental organisations. We intend to publish selected contributions in an anthology. Please submit your proposal to Dr Tudor Balinisteanu, Department of English, University of Suceava, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for abstract submissions is 15 March 2014.
The deadline for conference fee payments is 31 March 2014. Once your abstract is accepted you will receive an email with payment instructions. Unfortunately the University does not have an online payments system, but payments can be made by bank order to a specified account.
Participation fee: 45 Euro; includes: tea/coffee breaks, reception, dinner, and festive dinner
Accommodation is available in a wide range of local hotels. We recommend Villa Alice (http://www.villaalice.ro/) or Daily Plaza (http://dailyplaza.ro/?lang=en). Rooms in Student Halls are available at the rate of 12 EUR/person/night (double occupancy) or 24 EUR/person/ night (single occupancy).
Updates and a final conference schedule due to be decided by the end of April 2014 shall be published here: http://socialmyth.usv.ro/draft.html