Edited Collection: Best Practices in Writing Assignment Design (Submit by March 31.)
Proposals are invited for a volume of original, classroom-tested writing assignments; the volume is intended to serve as a resource for new and experienced composition instructors seeking pedagogically sound writing assignments that can be used in a variety of writing-centered undergraduate courses. The assignments may be designed for first year composition, basic writing, advanced composition, writing in the disciplines, or writing across the curriculum courses. In the published volume, the writing assignments will be accompanied by supporting materials of no more than 5000 words. Support materials will include a rationale for the assignment design, plus any of the following:
• Description of scaffolding activities used in conjunction with the assignment.
• Description of how students respond to the assignment.
• Description of potential pitfalls of the assignment and suggestions for how to avoid them.
• Excerpts from student papers written in response to the assignment.
• Grading rubrics or evaluation standards.
Please submit a proposal of no more than 500 words that includes a brief description of the assignment, a description of the course/institutional context for the assignment (e.g.: a first year composition course at a large research university), and a projection of the type of support materials that will be included.
Please send your proposal as a .doc, .docx, or .pdf attachment to email@example.com. Use the phrase "Writing Assignments Collection" in the subject line of your email.
Proposals due: March 31, 5:00 PM PST
Acceptance notices sent: April 30.