Florida English Irish-American Issue (May 1, 2014)
For the 12th annual issue of Florida English, our final issue as associate editors of the journal, we invite submissions dealing with the theme: Irish-American. Ideas for critical articles might include individual literary works by Irish-American authors or directors, films, etc, and the influence of these in shaping genres or the identities of the country at large, communities, or individuals. One might consider the issues of immigration, assimilation, tradition or the loss of tradition, religion, or food. In addition, Florida English is also looking for original pieces of fiction, poetry, and creative non-fiction that are rooted in the Irish-American experience or explore any facet thereof.
The deadline for receipt of submissions is May 1, 2014.
Submit up to five poems and/or one each: short story, creative nonfiction, or critical essay through at: https://floridaenglish.submittable.com/submit
• Load each poem and story submission separately for judging purposes.
• For all submissions, please include a brief bio for the contributor's page. Be sure to include your name, address, phone number, email address, institutional affiliation (if you have one), and the title(s) of your poems, story, nonfiction piece, or essay, and any other relevant information. We will edit if necessary for space.
• Because we rely on blind submission judging, do not include your name anywhere on the manuscript. Manuscripts that contain identifiable information on the poem, story, etc. will be rejected.
• Do not send simultaneous submissions or previously published work! We're serious.
• Follow current MLA guidelines for critical essay submissions and formatting. Be sure your article has a proper works cited page, and make sure your citation conforms to the most current guidelines.
Contributors will be notified of acceptance status via email at the completion of the reading period (in September 2014).
Payment upon publication is one copy of Florida English. Additional copies of current issues may be purchased at a special contributor's rate of $7.
Florida English is also interested in publishing interviews and book reviews. Anyone interested in having a book reviewed or writing a review or interview should contact one of the editors by emailing email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; or email@example.com with "Attn Review" in the subject line so that you can receive the review/interview guidelines.
Notice of Copyright:
By submitting your work, you agree that Florida English acquires first serial rights to publish the piece both electronically and in print. In addition, Florida English may
reserve non-exclusive publication rights to reprint a piece in a "best of" issue or anthology.