Borders and Crossings Conference, 11-13 September, 2014; deadline 1 May 2014
We invite all with an interest in the study of travel writing to the 13th Borders and Crossings conference. Proposals for 20-minute papers and for full panels are sought from scholars working in all areas of travel writing, including literary studies, book history, geography, art history, translation studies, anthropology, history, and media studies. Current travel writers are also very welcome and there will be space for readings.
Papers on all aspects and periods of travel writing are welcome. Areas of enquiry might include (but are not limited to) the following:
• Representations of travel through South East Europe
• Travel and translation/interpretation
• Globalization, cosmopolitanism, and transnationalism
• Travel writing and ethics
• Representations of travel and the new media
• Travel illustration and multimedia
• Travel writing and science
• Travel writing and intertextuality
Conference languages are English and French. Please indicate in which language you'd like to deliver your paper.
Please email a 250-word abstract by 1 May 2014 to: email@example.com; B.Colbert@wlv.ac.uk; and G.Hambrook@wlv.ac.uk. Please include your institutional affiliation and your preferred e-mail address.
Information about accommodation costs and the conference fees will be e-mailed to all potential participants in late May. Postgraduate students and unsalaried participants will pay reduced fees.