Call for papers
Czas Kultury: Polish Studies
In the 3/2014 issue of Czas Kultury, we give voice to those who study or work with Polish culture after 1989, and whose engagement includes a perspective that involves geographical, linguistic or cultural distance. Polish studies abroad can provide Poles with insights about what they themselves do not know about their own culture, and what about is fascinating, appealing or uninteresting to foreigners. We are interested in knowing why one would study the artistic and social life of Poland, what about it is unique, and what is typical? What activities in the fields of literature, film, visual arts, theatre, or music particularly attract the attention of our immediate and more distant neighbours? How has the image of Polish culture changed over the last 25 years? What have been consequences of political transition in terms of artistic thinking? What in the opinion of foreigners is worth learning from us, and which of our practices offer a negative model? The "Polish Studies" issue is intended to help us to achieve a distance from which we can see ourselves differently, perhaps in a way that – at the moment – is even hard to imagine.
We invite not only non-Polish authors to contribute to the issue, but also Poles who are or have been involved with Polish culture at foreign research centres, institutions, NGOs, artistic groups, and in other formal or informal circumstances.
Examples of potential areas of research interest include:
* Analysis of foreign academic units involved in the study of Polish culture, history, politics, etc.
* External research perspectives on Polish culture as a methodological problem,
* Comparative research perspectives and Polish studies,
* Social, sociological, and cultural analyses of foreign institutions and individuals involved in Polish studies,
* Particularly interesting phenomena in the broadly understood field of Polish culture that are studied more often by foreign researchers than by Polish ones.
Texts for the issue not exceeding 18,000 characters should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org by May 10, 2014.