JOYCE, YEATS AND THE REVIVAL - The VIII James Joyce Italian Foundation Conference in Rome
Conference Date: February 2-3, 2014
DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS: November 15, 2013
The James Joyce Italian Foundation invites proposals for the Eighth Annual Conference in Rome. It will be hosted by the Department of Foreign Languages, Literatures and Cultures at the Università Roma Tre, to celebrate Joyce's 133th birthday.
The conference will be the occasion to present unpublished papers and works in progress on Joyce to an international audience.
Confirmed speakers: Matthew Campbell, Erik Bindervoet, Robbert-Jan Henkes, Fritz Senn, Carla Marengo Vaglio
In parallel with the conference's usual focus on Joyce, it also intends to mark the 150th anniversary of Yeats' birth by inviting scholars dealing with any aspect of Joyce studies to send proposals for a 20-minute contribution on current trends in Joyce, Yeats, and Irish studies with a focus on the Revival period. Related topics include, but are not limited to:
- Joyce and/vs Yeats
- Joyce and/vs Synge
- Joyce and/vs A.E.
- Joyce and/vs Lady Gregory
- Joyce as a revivalist
- Joyce's drama/Yeats's theatre
- Joyce's poetry and the Revival
- Rewriting the Revival in Joyce's notebooks, drafts, and completed works
- Joyce, genetic studies and the Revival
- Joyce's Triestine journalism and the Revival
- Joyce's writings as Revivals/Counter-revivals
- The Revival and autobiography: Writing the self/writing the nation
- Joyce's translations of Synge and Yeats in Trieste
- Yeats' Joyce
- The state and status of Yeats and Joyce Studies 60 years after their deaths
- Writing "Irishness"
- Joyce and the Irish Language
- Yeats, Joyce, and the idea of the Irish "race"
- Yeats, Joyce and Irish alterities
- Mangan or Ferguson? Who to revive from the nineteenth century.
Selected papers will be published. Please send abstracts, 250-500 words in length, along with a short bio-sketch to email@example.com
The Conference includes a Joycean birthday party.
Deadline for proposals: November 15, 2013.
Accepted speakers will be notified by December 15, 2013.
On arrival, participants will be expected to sign up for membership of The James Joyce Italian Foundation (Students and unwaged: 25 Euro; Faculty: 35 Euro).
Please visit the James Joyce Italian Foundation website for information about the "Giorgio Melchiori Grants": http://thejamesjoyceitalianfoundation.wordpress.com/