CFP: Huckleberry Finn (5/15/07; 9/27/07-9/29)
CALL FOR PAPERS
"ReReading Huckleberry Finn" panel
2007 RSS CONFERENCE ON RECEPTION STUDY
The University of Missouri at Kansas City,
Thurs, September 27th, through Sat., the 29th, 2007.
This panel will reexamine what Jonathan Arac terms the
"hypercanonication" of /Huckleberry Finn/. Topics may include the following:
1) Does the novel undermine its racist sentiments effectively? Fail to
undermine or effectively affirm them?
2) How did the novel acquire its high canonical status? What justified it?
3) What was the novel's initial reception and what explains this reception?
4) How does the changing status of the novel's realism explain its
5) What criticisms have modern critics brought against the novel? Are
6) How does the novel relate to sentimental fiction? How does its
treatment of sentimentality explain its status?
7) How can we reread the novel today?
Please submit a proposal of 250 words or more. The deadline is May 15th,
2007. To submit a proposal or request more information, please contact
Philip Goldstein, University of Delaware, 333 Shipley St., Wilmington,
DE 19801, or
Or visit the webpage of the Reception Study Society:
From the Literary Calls for Papers Mailing List
Full Information at
or write Jennifer Higginbotham: higginbj_at_english.upenn.edu
Received on Thu Apr 26 2007 - 18:05:36 EDT