CFP: [Ethnic] âThe Angry and the Aestheticâ (12/1/07; MELUS, 3/27/08 â 3/30/08)
CFP: â€œThe Angry and the Aestheticâ€ (12/1/07; MELUS, 3/27/08 â€" 3/30/08)
Due Date: December 5
We are looking for papers for a PROPOSED PANEL for the MELUS conference at
Ohio State University, March 27-30, 2008. For more information about the
conference, see http://webspace.ship.edu/kmlong/melus/.
This panel will explore issues around anger and emotion as they relate to
â€œminorityâ€ cultural productions and/or representations. We are open to a
variety of methodologies and approaches. Possible topics include but are
not limited to:
- the forms, uses, and abuses of political anger (e.g. feminist anger; May
Day Immigrant protest and the rhetoric surrounding the event; the Chief
- cognition and emotion
- the epistemic value of emotions
- reactionary anger (e.g. Justice Clarence Thomasâ€™ recent autobiography)
- parodic anger, or the relationship between parody and anger (eg.
- explorations of the relationship between the work of emotions and
- the border between â€œangerâ€ and â€œterrorismâ€ â€"what distinguishes an action
or emotion as â€œangryâ€ as opposed to â€œterroristâ€? Who decides on these labels?
Please submit a paper abstract (250 words) and a brief (1-page) cv to Sue
J. Kim (suekim_at_uab.edu) by December 5, 2007.
Sue J. Kim, University of Alabama at Birmingham
Gina Caison, University of California, Davis
From the Literary Calls for Papers Mailing List
more information at
Received on Fri Nov 09 2007 - 15:13:26 EST