full name / name of organization:
Call for Papers
"Celebrating Memories & Visual Cultures"
ZIFF Conference, Zanzibar July 2-4, 2007
ZIFF will be celebrating its tenth anniversary with another grand
cultural festival from 30th June to 8th July, 2007, under the overall
theme of "Celebration of Waters and Dreams." It is a moment of
reflection on where we have come from, where we are at, and where we are
As part of what has become a tradition, ZIFF will organise another
conference to celebrate the occasion on the conference theme focusing
specifically on "Celebrating Memories & Visual Cultures."
As in previous conferences, we are looking for short thought papers that
will excite debates and cross-fertilisation of ideas between scholars
and artists, story-tellers, documentary and film makers, rather than
highly scholastic or technical papers.
The theme has been elaborated under the following sub-themes and topics:
1. Histories & Memories:
- Histories Past: heritage & narrative, identity & self-awareness, and
home & away;
- Family narratives, oral history, construction of the past, local,
regional & global histories;
- Remembrance: subjectivity, philosophy of mind, travel & tourism;
- Absence & memory: honoured places & events, place & space, emotive
locations, loss & trauma.
- Film and/against other historical texts, cinema as medium of nostalgia;
- Found film: lost memories, forgotten places & people.
2. Film & Video
- Filmic mediums, filmic representations, remembering film, filmic diaries;
- Technological change, industrial structures & practices;
- Local and non-local film-making;
- Relationship with other media and cultural practices, especially music
& oral story-telling, others featured at ZIFF;
- Film archives;
- The film festival as cultural festival.
3. Space and Place
- Cinema and East Africa;
- Transnational cinema;
- Architecture: house & home, structures of significance;
- Museums: representation of culture, history & memory, heritage;
- Cinema and public space: filmic placement, meeting places, historical
- Cinema & the public sphere: cinema & social change, film & media
literacy, democratic & alternative media, media consumption.
Those interested in participating in the conference should send:
abstract of their paper by 1st April, and
final paper by 15th June, 2007 at the latest.
An attempt will be made to raise funds to support a limited number of
contributors from the Dhow Countries who need such assistance for travel
and accommodation. Those intending to apply for such assistance should
write an application and send an abstract and their CV by 1st March,
2007 at the very latest.
Please write to:
P. O. Box 3032
J. David Slocum
Graduate School of Arts and Science
Visiting Associate Professor of Cinema Studies
Tisch School of the Arts
New York University
P.O. Box 907 (U.S. Mail)
One-half Fifth Avenue, Garden level
New York, NY 10276-0907
(212) 995-4557 [fax]
From the Literary Calls for Papers Mailing List
Full Information at
or write Jennifer Higginbotham: higginbj_at_english.upenn.edu
Received on Tue Jan 16 2007 - 17:19:16 EST