AESTHETICS OF POPULAR CULTURE - SEPT. 10, 2012
We encourage scholars with genuine interest in philosophy of art and popular culture to send a max. 250 word abstract for reviewing no later than September 10, 2012 (extended deadline). All schools of philosophy and aesthetic theory (pragmatism, hermeneutics, semiotics, phenomenology, analytic aesthetics, cultural studies, etc.) are accepted.
As keynote speakers we are glad to have two distinguished scholars of contemporary aesthetics, Ted Cohen (University of Chicago) and Jos de Mul (Erasmus University Rotterdam) – both influential across the borders of philosophical schools!
List of possible topics (which should not be seen as restrictive, but more as an invitation):
– avant-garde popular culture
– art from the point of view of popular culture studies
– aesthetic properties and concepts of popular culture
– popular culture, aesthetic education and art schools
– official popular culture (nazism, socialism, etc.)
– popular culture in post-communist countries
– the relation of aesthetics and cultural studies
– popular culture as a shared outsider (Americanization)
– European aesthetics of popular culture
– kitsch, trash, camp
Please send your abstracts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The conference language is English.
Website (which will be updated): www.vsvu.sk/popularculture