2015 PCA ACA National Conference – Business, Money and Office Culture Area
CALL FOR PAPERS
The Business, Money, & Office Cultures Area of the Popular Culture and American Culture Associations invites papers on the theme of the Businessman as Hero. One of the dominant narrative threads of our era places the successful businessman as the driver of history and the savior of civilization. We welcome proposals that explore how this narrative is propagated–or contested–in the mass media and how the businessman-as-hero scenario plays out in popular culture.
• The Businessman as Rock Star – corporate executives and entrepreneurs as celebrities and "do-gooders"
• Wall Street 2008: "Bailout" or "Heist of the Century" – the "Great Recession" narrative
• The Occupy Wall Street movement
• Business vs. Government
• "Greed is Good"
• Rags to Riches: Myths of Success
• The New Robber Barons, plutocrats and "heirs"
Please send an abstract of 150 to 250 words. Include your name, affiliation, correspondence address, e-mail address and telephone number or post your submission at http://ncp.pcaaca.org/.