New Voices 2015 Graduate Student Conference
The New Voices Planning Committee is proud to announce that we are now accepting proposals for the 2015 New Voices Conference. This year's annual conference will be held winter 2015 at Georgia State University in Atlanta, Georgia, and will feature papers, panels, workshops, creative writing readings, and speakers related to our annual theme, which is as follows.
"The Rule of Threes: Death, Humor, and Repetition"
At the intersection of death and humor is a central rule: the rule of threes. This rule stipulates that if one person dies, two more will follow. Similarly, the rules of humor suggest that something must occur three times in order to be funny. This theme seeks to investigate the multiple intersections of humor and death and their relationships to the humanities by asking where humor and death intersect and how the concept of repetition plays a part in these relationships.
Proposals are encouraged to incorporate aspects of this year's conference theme; however, submissions involving a wide range of interests and concerns within the Humanities are also welcome. Possible topics include but are not limited to:
● How do the intersections of death and humor influence literature/culture?
● How do you incorporate death or humor into the classroom?
● Is death paired with humor too often or wrongly?
○ Is this also the case death metal and other associated musical genres?
● How have death and humor intersections influenced political rhetorical antics?
● How has technology impacted the intersections of death and humor? Has it changed the way we use death
● Have historical recordings of death or humor impacted the current era?
● How do views on death and humor change from different cultural perspectives?
By November 21, 2014, please submit an abstract of 200-300 words and contact information to the New Voices Planning Committee via our online form at http://newvoicesconference.wordpress.com/forms/. Presenters will be notified of acceptance via e-mail by December 19, 2014.
As in past years, we will be partnering with Fountainhead Press and their V-series readers on these related topics, Death and Humor. For more information about these readers, please visit Fountainhead Press's V-series website at http://www.fountainheadpress.com/vseries/.
For more information about New Voices and this call for papers, please visit our website at http://newvoicesconference.wordpress.com/, or contact the New Voices Planning Committee via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.