Femorabilia Study Day
CALL FOR PAPERS: FEMORABILIA
Saturday 22nd October 2016,
Aldham Robarts Library, LJMU, Liverpool, UK
A collection of women’s and girls’ periodicals, Femorabilia comprises two-thousand British publications (and more than ninety titles) from every decade of the twentieth century. Femorabilia will be available to view in a hands-on study session.
The collection includes an extensive wartime run of Picturegoer and a run of Girls’ Crystal from 1950-1952 as well as bound volumes of the first two years of Bunty (1958), the first year of Girl (1951) and the first 6 months of Peg’s Paper (1919). Other highlights are Diana, Judy, June from the 1960s and their older counter parts Mirabelle, Romeo and Valentine. We have a full run of Misty (1978), the first two years of Just 17 (1983) and selections of Photo Love (1979), Blue Jeans (1977) and My Guy (1985).
The study session will be followed by a symposium. For the symposium, we welcome proposals for 20 minute presentations on topics including but not limited to:
• Individual magazines and comics
• Specific stories, features, artists and writers
• Publishers and twentieth-century reading for young adults
• Childhood, girlhood, women’s culture and the diversity of readerships
• Cultural practices associated with magazines (e.g. play, collecting, readers’ contributions, dress-up dolls)
• Reading for pleasure
• Comparative research projects on popular culture
To register for the Study Day eventbrite address http://bit.ly/29ycbzC
For further information about Femorabilia, please see its blog: https://femorabilia.wordpress.com/