Writing/Righting Wrongs: Misrepresentation, Discrimination, Inequality
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain
29th November – 1st December 2017
Acts of injustice in or with the Indian subcontinent have been committed by previous generations in institutional, social, political or familiar contexts. This conference seeks to highlight some of these wrongs and discuss the various ways they have been or should be righted. This conference is likewise geared by an inclusionary energy that connects diverse manifestations of “Indianness” against the background of an Indoceanic geography. W/righting wrongs involves acts of remembrance whereby memory and history coalesce, and, as a result, a dynamics of self situated beyond the national/global dichotomy is delineated.
The conference is intended to cover a wide range of disciplines so we welcome papers from historians, anthropologists, philosophers, art historians, environmental scientists, linguists and literary scholars and cultural studies practitioners.
The topics proposed include but are not restricted to the following:
- Reparations for social wrongs: Dalits, tribals and subalterns
- Reparations for mass crimes and ethnic violence
- Acknowledging historical misrepresentations: imperial oversights, stereotypes in historical novels, the silencing of minorities
- Historical culpability: the legacy of colonialism, the connivance of the colonized
- Uncovering lost treasures in art, literature and music
- Rethinking Indian philosophies
- The role of the cinema: escapism or social commentary?
- Religious revivals
- Reinterpreting the epics
- Memories of the Partition: healing the wounds
- Questioning gender constraints: the voices of women, alternative sexualities
- Life writing: new approaches
- Reviewing environmental policies: ecological disasters
- Indian languages: Hinglish, translation policies
200 word abstracts in either English or Spanish plus a 100 word bionote should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org A selection of the papers will be published in Nº 6 of Indialogs Spanish Journal of India Studies (April 2019) after blind review by external assessors.
Deadline for proposals: 01/06/2017
Notification of acceptance: 01/07/2017