Transatlantic New York
Transatlantic New York Conference invites paper proposals (8 pages / 3K words approx., 20 minutes) and panels with 3 participants discussing a common theme or topic (60 minutes) about people and institutions that have worked in the complexity of this Anglo-Afro-Hispanic cultural production constituted by a variety of origins and languages, with creative capacity, disposition to dialogue, critical vision and cultural roots that have advanced the rights to diversity and its quality as well.
The conference will be organized in sections with different coordinators. The following topics will be given priority:
- Writers from Hostos and Martí to Lorca and Julia de Burgos, and Nicanor Parra, including Junot Díaz, Daniel Alarcón, Giannina Braschi, Óscar Hijuelos, Antonio Muñoz Molina, Sylvia Molloy, Ricardo Piglia, Carmen Boullosa, and Luis Rafael Sánchez.
- Founders of Hispanism
- Artists and filmmakers
- Journals and editors (Areito, Exilio, Escandalar, Románica, Mariel, and others)
- Interactions of English and Spanish in literature
Proposals for panels containing three lectures on the same topic are welcome.
- Juan Carlos Mercado (CCNY- CUNY)
- Ignacio Olmos (Instituto Cervantes)
- Ana Vázquez Barrado (Instituto Cervantes)
- Carlos Aguasaco (CCNY- CUNY)
- Julio Ortega (Brown University)
Submission of Proposals: Proposals should consist of a title and an abstract of 250-300 words, and a brief biography (100-150 words). Proposals must be sent through the conference website www.nytransatlantico.com. Papers may be in Spanish or English.
Submission deadline: March 15, 2017.
Registration Fee for Accepted Proposals:
-$150 (Professors, Researchers and Independent Scholars)
-$75 (Graduate Students)