CFP for Medieval and Renaissance Area, MAPACA (formerly "Beowulf to Shakespeare")
MAPACA (Mid-Atlantic Popular/American Culture Association) 2017
28th Annual Conference
November 9-11, 2017
Medieval and Renaissance (formerly called “Beowulf to Shakespeare”)
The wealth of material found in the Middle Ages and Renaissance continues to attract modern audiences with new creative works that make use of medieval and/or early modern themes, characters, or plots. This is a call for papers or panels dealing with any aspect of medieval or Renaissance representations in popular culture. Topics for this area include, but are not limited to:
- Modern portrayals of any aspect of Arthurian legends or Shakespearean works
- Modern versions or adaptations of the works of other medieval or Renaissance writers
- Modern investigations of historical figures such as Eleanor of Aquitaine, The Richards, Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, Mary Queen of Scots
- Teaching medieval and Renaissance texts to modern students
- Medieval or Renaissance links to fantasy fiction, gaming, comics, video games, etc.
- Modern productions of medieval or Renaissance dramas
- The Middle Ages or Renaissance on the Internet
- Renaissance fairs / medieval-themed restaurants, etc.
- Medieval- or Renaissance-themed films, plays & television shows (e.g. Galavant, Something Rotten, Game of Thrones)
- Music and the Middle Ages / Renaissance
- Middle Ages / Renaissance and Postmodernism
n Panel and Workshop proposals also are welcome.
Submit a 250 word proposal including A/V requests and a brief biography by June 30, 2017 to our online submission form at www.mapaca.net
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us directly
Mary Behrman: Behrm5@aol.com
Diana Vecchio: firstname.lastname@example.org
Co-Chairs, Medieval and Renaissance, MAPACA