THE LEFT CONFERENCE - PHOTOGRAPHY AND FILM International Conference
THE LEFT CONFERENCE - PHOTOGRAPHY AND FILM
The aim of the third edition of The Left Conference, Photography and Filmis to debate the use of photographs and film from a leftist stance. In particular, to critical examine and explore the relation of documentarypractices with political commitment in different historical circumstances throughout the twentieth century and the early twenty first century.
The seminar/conference together will take place at the Faculty of Belas Artes of the University of Lisbon on the 9thand 10thNovember 2018.
We invite paper submission of no more than 500 words abstract, followed by a short bio (200 words – including name and institution). The proposal can focuses on photography and film related to:
- the creation of documentaryas a social and political weapon;
- postcolonial representations and imagery;
- women rights and feminist imagery;
- avant-gardes and ideology claims;
- the role of images in the leftist movements;
- contemporary art practices and social and political criticism;
- gender studies;
- surveillance and the political;
- Alan Sekula legacy and the political commitment with images.
David Bate (University of Westminster, London UK)
Laura Mulvey (Birkbeck College, University of London, UK) – to be confirmed
Conference Venue & Dates
Faculty of Belas Artes of the University of Lisbon
9thand 10thNovember 2018
Please send your abstracts until 21stJune 2018to email@example.com
Participants will be notified by early July and the conference program will be published in late September.
More info on the conference: