Interdisciplinary Conference ‘Revisiting the Gothic in Literature and the Visual Arts’ (UCAM)
Please find below the details of the 1st Call for Papers for the Interdisciplinary Conference ‘Revisiting the Gothic in Literature and the Visual Arts’, which will be held at UCAM – Universidad Católica de Murcia on 18 January, 2019.
Our main focus will be on the analysis and discussion of the transformations undergone by the Gothic genre since the 1970s up to today within the fields of fiction, the visual arts and other forms of popular culture. Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- The redefinition of the Gothic in the late 20th and early 21st centuries.
- The uncanny in contemporary literature, film and TV.
- The portrayal of late 20th and early 21st century society from a Gothic perspective.
- Gothic rewritings of classic works.
- The Exotic Gothic: alternative readings in the global south.
- The exploitation of Gothic elements in film and TV.
- Transgression (in relation to identity, interpersonal contact, the social sphere…).
- Power relations: men and women in contemporary gothic works.
- Modern individual or collective identities in Gothic fiction and film.
The deadline for submission of proposals (in English or Spanish) is November the 9th, 2018. A selection of papers will be included in an edited book or journal.Abstracts (between 300-400 words) stating the name, address and institutional affiliation(s) of the participant(s) should be sent via e-mail, together with a separate biodata (about 150 words), to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Plenary speaker: Dr. Julio Ángel Olivares Merino (University of Jaén)
The conference fee is 70€ for participants and 30€ for students. Conference updates will gradually appear on the website http://www.revisitingthegothic.wordpress.com
Please forward this message to researchers you think might be interested. Looking forward to meeting you in Murcia,
The Organizing Committee