"Victorian Duality, Doubles, and Doppelgangers": MVSA at MMLA 2019
CALL FOR PAPERS
2019 MMLA Conference’s MVSA-Affiliated Panel
November 14-17, 2019
“Duality, Doubles, and Doppelgängers”
In keeping with the MMLA conference theme, “Duality, Doubles, and Doppelgängers,” the Midwest Victorian Studies Association panel welcomes proposals that explore myriad examples of duality and doubling in 19th century Britain.
Possible topics include but are not limited to:
- Dualities or binaries that shaped culture and history
- Separate spheres ideology and the public/private divide
- Issues of gender, age, religion, sexuality, and/or other aspects of identity or forms of marginalization
- Class divisions between rich and poor or new and old money
- Issues of race divisions or multicultural/hybrid identities
- Colonialist impulses and colonizing work and/or resistance
- Cultivating taste, behavior, manners, etc.
- Colonizing the Empire
- Reproductions in the arts and sciences
- Historical and cultural echoes (i.e., the Victorian Cult of Medievalism)
- Authors and pseudonyms
- Republications, retellings, and reproductions
We welcome papers about diverse genres and media and would particularly encourage proposals with significant interdisciplinary/cross-disciplinary engagement, highlighting varied aspects of nineteenth-century British history, literature, and culture.
The deadline for proposals is April 5, 2019.
Please submit a 250-word abstract and a 1-page vita (as Microsoft Word documents) for consideration to Gretchen M. Frank at email@example.com.