Thomas Merton (CEA 3/26-3/28/20)
International Thomas Merton Society
College English Association
51stTH ANNUAL CONFERENCE
Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
Call for Papers
An allied organization of the College English Association (CEA), the International Thomas Merton Society (ITMS) will be sponsoring one or more panels at the annual CEA Conference next March 26-29, as well as recommending individual proposals for other concurrent sessions. Overarching theme of the Conference: TIDES.
Suggested lines of inquiry (but only suggested):
• Merton's counter-cultural resistance: going against the tides of individualism, violence, racism, nationalism, etc.
• currents of change: waves of hope, waves of peace
• diving deep into the spiritual (Ex."sea which opens within me" Entering the Silence, 467)
• images of the sea in Merton's poetry (Ex. "Christopher Columbus,"etc.)
• resurgence of interest in Merton's writing (Ex.Seven Storey Mountain, New Seeds, Wisdom of the Desert, etc.)
You are invited to submit a title and proposal (200-500 words) for a 6-8 page paper (15 minute presentation time) and encouraged to contact Monica Weis SSJ (firstname.lastname@example.org) for directions on how to submit your proposal to the CEA data base and how to negotiate your CEA membership ($50) by January 2020
Deadline for electronic proposals is November 1, 2019
Online submission site: http://cea-web.org (site opens August 15)
The annual CEA Conference is a wonderfully congenial gathering of 500+ scholar-teachers committed to literature, writing, college teaching, and related fields.