Stephen Crane Society Panels at ALA 2020
Call for Papers: Stephen Crane Society. ALA 2020
The Stephen Crane Society will sponsor two sessions at the American Literature Association Conference at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego on May 21-24, 2020. All topics are welcome. Here, for example, are a few suggestions:
· Crane’s depiction of war
· Crane and the arts (e. g., painting, photography, music)
· Crane’s depiction of the city
· Crane’s poetry
· Crane’s journalism
· the Sullivan County tales and sketches
· the Western stories
· the Whilomville stories
· one of Crane’s lesser-known novels (The Third Violet, Active Service, or The O’Ruddy)
· Crane’s depiction of women
· Crane’s relationship with other writers, e. g., Garland, Howells, Conrad, or Frederic
· Crane’s influence on later writers
Presentations will be limited to 20 minutes.
You may also propose a roundtable discussion on, say, teaching Crane’s short stories.
Please email abstracts or papers of no more than ten double-spaced pages by January 15, 2020, to the program chair:
For more information about the conference, please consult the ALA website at www.americanliterature.org. If you have questions about the conference, contact the Conference Director, Professor Leslie Petty, at pettyL@rhodes.edu. If you have questions about ALA, contact the Executive Director of ALA, Professor Alfred Bendixen, at firstname.lastname@example.org.